Even though we are beginning to wrap up our focus on 3D and 2D shapes in room 116, you are encouraged to continue to look and talk about 3D and 2D shapes with your child.
In April, we will begin to take a look at measurement using non-standard units. What is a non-standard unit you ask? Watch this 6 minute cartoon (From Pbskids.org) with your child to get a better idea:
Take some time over the next few weeks to:
- Measure objects in your house/apartment
- Discuss the temperature outside
- Compare and contrast the weight of different things
- Introduce your children to the joys of cooking and let them help measure out ingredients
- Talk about time. What is a second, minute, hour, day, week, year?
- Fill a variety of containers with liquid. What holds more? What has the greatest capacity?